The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awesome-ness, yo.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tiny Dilemma

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
m o T a s

m o T a s

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 pm

While running over the entirety of my character idea in my head one day, I realized there was a major and fatal flaw in it's construction. This flaw leaves me with only two options; 'fill in' a blank left by official 'verse canon, or drastically reconstruct my idea which would therefore radically change the resulting character (for the most part).

Before doing either of those, I'd like to submit a synopsis of my character idea and my proposed solution to you, my fellow players. I do this because I'd rather take my first option, but don't want to be rude and change anything in our personal continuity without seeing if everyone else is okay with my idea.

On to the real issue.
Quick rundown of my idea; a child born to a Reaver attack survivor who held on to her sanity and will to live just long enough to birth the son of a Reaver. A human-reaver hybrid, if you will.
Main issue; I want the character to be born in 2498, but Reavers don't formally appear in the 'verse 'til around 2506.

My proposed idea to 'fill in a blank' (in my own words);
A group of scientists begin to experiment with a substance that they believe would make people more complacent and peaceful around 2496. While running small-scale tests on participants with the substance they see good results, aside from one man who is completely and irreversibly rendered dangerously insane (this man would be the father). The head scientist, struck hard by this horrific negative reaction, scraps the project and retires.
Years later, perhaps around 2504 or 2505, scientists from the original set of experiments pick up where they left off. They modify the substance, hoping to lessen and completely remove the negative reaction in subjects. Then Miranda happens.

That's the idea I've got that allows me to keep my character's background completely intact.
Let me know what you think, if anybody has a problem with it I'll have no problem working to change his history.
Back to top Go down
Alatus
Admin
Alatus

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:23 am

I'm glad you decided to go with Kellan's idea. I have no problems with it. ^^
Back to top Go down
XinTou

XinTou

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 am

Out of curiosity, how would being half-Reaver change his DNA? He'd still be 100% human, right? As far as canon goes, it's the PAX (or whatever medical compound you have in mind) that drove them crazy, but does it alter their DNA?
Back to top Go down
Myth
Admin
Myth

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Good point, Xin.

Thomas - maybe say the PAX was used on him as a test subject?
Back to top Go down
https://awesomenessyo.forumotion.net
m o T a s

m o T a s

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:18 pm

In regards to what Xin said, it's never really indicated whether or not it truly mutated their DNA or not, just as many things about the Reavers aren't exactly defined. Aside from how they came to exist, and how they interact with other people.
But it really seems that the condition they received from exposure was permanent, since they never seemed to eventually turn back due to lack of exposure. I think that would signify a permanent change to the way their body works, which could then be passed to any children (if they had any).

But, all I'm saying is really just speculation on my part since nothing is ever completely clarified.
Back to top Go down
Myth
Admin
Myth

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Do Reavers have children? The only thing in their head is aggression - so if they did manage to conceive a child, what would happen to it when it was born? Something un-pretty, I'm thinking.

There aren't any female Reavers on the show and we never see any younger ones. Since they were introduced around 2506 it's possible they're all just the original people from Miranda.

They talk about it like it's a disease, in the show. Some kind of mental affliction instead of an actual genetic mutation. In the episode Bushwhacked the dude starts to act like a Reaver, just from having had an experience dealing with them. Perhaps that hints more at Reaverdom being a mental perversion instead of a genetic change.

Plus I'm still a little uncomfortable with the characteristics you want Kasai to have from Reavers... fiddling with what Joss left unsaid is shaky territory.

Saying Kasai was experimented on is probably the safest route.
Back to top Go down
https://awesomenessyo.forumotion.net
m o T a s

m o T a s

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 am

Mkay.

Guess I need to get to work on changing his history without removing any of the more important events.
Back to top Go down
Alatus
Admin
Alatus

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 1:01 am

Alrighty, thanks Thomas. If you need any help with ideas let us know ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tiny Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dilemma   Tiny Dilemma Empty

Back to top Go down