The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awesome-ness, yo.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Log 7 - Making plans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alatus
Admin
Alatus

Log 7 - Making plans Empty
PostSubject: Log 7 - Making plans   Log 7 - Making plans EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Kasai had retreated to his room after the dishes had been cleaned the night before. He hadn't emerged from his room since then, taking time to meditate and gather himself. He hadn't traveled with others for an extended period, and so much contact within the past week was taking some adjustment to his mindset. The door to his room opened quietly, and the man could be seen for the first time that day. He was dressed in only his black vest and slacks, his katana latched onto his belt. He had decided it was finally time to run through his routines, not having practiced sense before he'd started searching for his lost ship. The Vega seemed calm, and almost quiet as he made his way to the cargo hold. He sized up the area as he went down the staircase, unlatching his blade and setting it aside, still sheathed. He began to stretch in preparation for his miniature work out, making sure all of his muscles were limber and up to the task. He was unaware of his surroundings for a moment, lost in a thought as he [c]
15:11:37 [Kasai] leaned forward, almost folding completely in half as he clasped his hands on his calves and pulled his nose towards his knees. He was in impeccable shape, a byproduct of both his 'lineage' and the extreme circumstances of his childhood.

XinTou unwrapped an arm-pressure cuff, giving Oriana a small sembalance of a smile to appear friendly as opposed to the witch-doctor he looked like. "Good. Everything seems fine, but you're really lacking in iron and calcium. Well, you're lacking in a bit of everything, but mostly those two." As he spoke, he was already jotting some notes down to himself while he fetched a small pill bottle. "I have some particularly strong multi-vitamins I want you to take once a day for two weeks. Don't be thrown by the label, yes, they are pre-natal vitamins, but they have no side effects if you aren't pregnant, they're just very specific to women. Come back to me after that, we'll run another quick check, but you should be fine." He handed over the bottle with a bit of a nod. "Feel free to get changed back into your normal clothes behind that screen there." He indicated the very nice, lacquered Chinese dressing screen. Then, he frowned a moment, talking aloud more than anything. "I'm still a bit worried about the(c)
15:17:04 [XinTou] tremor, but you don't exhibit any other signs of brain injury or illness, so we'll just keep an eye on it for now, all right?" Snapping off his rubber gloves, he smiled again, this time, with more genuine feeling. "Also, welcome to the crew officially, I've been told."

Oriana smiled back at the doctor as he took the cuff off and laughed a bit at his comment that she was lacking in everything. “I’ll work on it, Doc, I promise.” Ori took the bottle of pills, examining them carefully. “And these wont make me sick at all, right?” It wasn’t that Ori didn’t trust medicine, she just didn’t particularly like the idea of a medicine trying to make you feel better, but giving you more problems instead. Sliding off the table, Ori hopped behind the screen and began tugging her clothing back on. “You’re not the first doctor to worry about shakin’,” she commented as she dressed. “And all he managed to do was mess up my concentration on the job.” Ori finished pulling on the last of her clothing and stepped out from behind the screen, clutching the cover she’d been wearing. “Where should I put this?” she asked. At Xin’s more friendly smile and welcome, Ori grinned good naturedly. “Thanks. I know I still need to prove myself, but for now, it’s good to be here.” Her eyes darted (c)
15:28:18 [Oriana] around the room, her grin fading a bit. “Seems like an awful nice place to be.” Ori’s eyes once more rested on the doctor; she seemed to be scrutinizing him without actually looking at him. “How’d you get to be part of the crew, if you don’t mind my askin’?”

Shaiyat had spent the majority of his time in the cockpit until now, though this wasn't abnormal for the pilot. He took advantage of the time the ship spent on the ground to run as many tests as he could on the old boat to be sure it was as safe as possible next time they went out. The age of the Firefly wasn't his only concern, but also their lack of a mechanic. Simple problems Shai could fix if need be, but if they lost any of the major systems they risked being stranded out in space. Not something the pilot wanted, for him or for the rest of the crew. So, for now he did the best he could to keep <i>Vega</i> airworthy...and in this particular moment that meant doing an engine check. Not his favorite task, as crawling up under the massive piece of machinery made him rather uncomfortable...and if he was going to get himself injured anywhere on the ship it was going to be there. So many belts, nooks and crannies to get one's hands stuck in. Another fear of Shai's. He couldn't fly too well missing a hand....anyhow. With a sigh he slid out from under the engine, wiping grime from his hands to his already grease covered tank-top. It was yellow in color, or least it had been at one point. That paired with a very old pair of black pants that were almost grey he looked more mechanic than pilot at the moment, his hair hidden beneath a pink beanie. He needed help, and with Quinn gone back into to town to try and sell off the rest of the cargo that left him with an interesting choice to make. He knew Xin was busy with Ori...so. That left Kasai. Shai checked the man's room first, with little luck...so he tried the only ever spot he found the man. In the cargo area. Making his way slowly down the stairs he stopped at the last one, plopping down to sit and rub his injured shoulder a little. “ 'Ey...Kasai...” He waited, unsure of where they stood at this point. He offered a friendly smile anyhow.

Kasai turned his head mid-stretch when Shai spoke to him. He looked to the upside-down pilot, noticing that he had what looked to be machinery grease on his hands. "Hello, Shaiyat." He turned his head to it's normal position, then unfolded his body, returning to a normal standing position. "What's up?." He slowly twisted his upper body in one direction, then the other. He didn't mean to seem rude by not paying exclusive attention to the pilot, but he was quite used to multi-tasking while talking. He moved on to less dramatic stretches, slowly moving from his core, to his arms, then his legs before taking a moment to stand still and let his muscles relax in a limber state.

XinTou shook his head to Ori's first question. "Absolutely not. Doesn't even need a perscription. You'll notice slight fingernail growth, hair thickness, and clear skin, but nothing bad. So don't worry, all right? And you can just sling it over the shade, there." He added, indicating the screen she had just changed behind. In regards to her second question, he shrugged. "Ship needed a doctor, I needed a wage. Life is nice and uncomplicated like that, sometimes."

Oriana did as the doctor suggested and placed the cover over the screen, regarding the pills again with interest. “Sounds good. Thanks for your help, doc.” She listened to his very short story of how he came by the Vega and giggled a bit. “You’re lucky, then!” She shot a friendly smile at him and returned to her room to grab Bessie and put the bottle of pills on the bedside table. She didn’t feel right without her gun at her side, though she had left it in her room for the exam (against her better judgment; she would have worn her holster under the cover if Xin would have allowed it). Leaving her room to pop up to the mess hall, she heard voices in the cargo area and poked her head through the doorway from the common area. “Hi, guys,” she called to them. She was almost surprised to see Kasai after his day of solitude, but she waved to the both of them nonetheless. “Either of y’all have anything for me to do?” Ori was feeling restless, and there wasn’t much the little merc could do when there wasn’t (c)
16:20:07 [Oriana] shooting to be done.

Shaiyat pulled his pink beanie on a bit tighter, averting his eye towards the sick bay for a moment as Kasai continued his workout. Something he'd probably not be caught doing on a regular basis...but then again his job didn't depend on it. And with his very limited knowledge of the mercenary he had no reason to assume his devotion to exercise stemmed from anything else. “Well, when Xin gets ta you bet you'll pass the physical with flyin' colors.” Shai smiled, trying to joke a little once again though he kicked himself for doing so right after. Staying serious with Kasai was going to be harder than he thought. He decided to rush right into his next question, watching the sickbay still for Ori's exit...knowing soon enough it'd be his turn. He wasn't exactly nervous, just the normal butterflies from under going any sort of exam. After the note from Xin, and even before that he had no hard feelings towards the doctor...though he did have a couple questions. But those he'd save, for now he needed to talk to Kasai. “Well, uh. Remembered you sayin' ya had some experience on a boat or two...” He paused, Ori making her appearance at this point. “Well, unless ya know anyone who's a mechanic Ori I may need help with a couple things later. Need'ta climb outside this ship and make sure the weapons we got are working...an well hidden. Alliance see's those cannons we'll have more questions than I'd like ta answer.” He turned back to Kasai. “Ya said you've worked with weapons on a boat before, yeah?” He paused, peering towards the sickbay one more time before directing his attention back towards the others. “Ya'll aint have any friends on Bellerophon do ya?” He asked randomly, with a small chuckle. He figured not, wiping his hands on his pants as he stood.

Kasai answered the pilot's last question first, his expression somewhat serious and his voice quieted. "That depends on what you mean by friend." He turned to face the man he was talking to, placing his hands behind his head in a comfortable fashion. "Well, yeah. I've been on a few ships before. Some combat ready and others not so much so." He looked to the little mercenary woman for a moment, a thought running through his head. "Miss Oriana, do you know how to defend yourself without the use of your firearm?" He asked out of pure curiosity, since she was apparently a crack shot depsite her continual shaking. He gazed towards the infirmary as he considered what Shaiyat had said about a physical. "I wasn't aware that I'd be receiving a physical from the good doctor, seeing as I'm not exactly a member of the crew... Though I would probably get an impeccable score." He winked to the pilot, trying to reassure him that the incident at dinner had just been a misunderstanding and not a complete lack of a funny [c]
16:42:42 [Kasai] bone. "Why do you ask, mister pilot? Been playin' mechanic in the engine room?" He nodded towards the grease on Shai's hands.

XinTou nodded a small goodbye to Oriana, replacing all of his medical instruments. Unlike some doctors that might leave clean up for later, Xin was very fastidiuous about having everything precisely where he wanted it at all times. After he had a moment to again establish the sick bay as the most organized, sterile room in the ship, he sauntered out to where he heard his fellow crewmates. When Shai mentioned needing help with the engines, Xin held up his hands with a grin and took a step back in the universal gesture of 'not it!'. He was just about to head over to his bunk when the pilot mentioned Bellerophon. With a sophisticated lift of his eyebrows, he queried, "May I ask why?" Although the doctor still exuded ease and calm, there had been a definite change to his expression, something akin to...excitement? Not that the fine, unruffled doctor had these kind of emotions. "Are we stopping there?" Ah, there was the hint of anticipation. Seemed someone certainly did have folk there. Folk important (c)
16:46:43 [XinTou] to him, from the sound of it. However, he wanted to know the motive before divulging such personal information.

Shaiyat simply shrugged. He wasn't sure where to put Kasai either. He wasn't a crew member no, but he seemed to be staying for the time being. So, why shouldn't Xin look him over. Either way the pilot wasn't too worried over it. Kasai looked like he needed medical attention the least out of all of them. “Well, hopefully me pretendin' to be a mechanic will be good enough 'til we get one...it's more the weaponry I'm worried over. Need ta make sure I ain't borrowin' too much power from the engines when the canons fire...but I ain't sure I got things hooked up right. This boat wasn't made for guns ya know....you any good a jury-rigging things Kasai?” He mumbled, pausing when Xin appeared. A broad smile came, Shai noticing the doctor's reluctance when it came to engines and the like. He had to tease him a little. “'Ey Xin...saved the oil-changin' jus' for you...figured you'd like one of the dirtiest jobs on this here boat.” He chuckled, letting the joke fade as he tilted his head a little. His one eye narrowed as he thought he'd caught something different in the man's expression. He didn't ask just yet, finishing with Kasai first. “Well, if it's those kinda friends ya got there Kasai we'd do best'ta avoid 'em this time around. I got us a possible job there...” He paused again, addressing Xin more fully. “I'd like ta hop there next if Quinn goes for it. The former captain of this ship...” He paused again, let the wave of sickness and guilt pass by, as well as trying to hide it before he continued. He really didn't like talking about the past crew...anyhow. He pulled at the beanie again. “The former captain had some friends in the upper circles of that world...an if we can convince 'em that we're jus' as worthy of the job it could mean quite'a bit of coin an' not too much risk of getting' shot. Shiney? Thought if we had some friends ta front us this might be easier.” He frowned a little, obviously doubtful his inkling of a plan would work...but it was worth a try. He chuckled at Ori's comment, he couldn't say he'd do the same. But it sure was tempting at times to imagine the 'good' life and what it could be like.

Kasai shook his head. He had given the pilot the wrong idea with his expression. "No, no. Nothing of that sort. It's just not a place I like to go to often..." He thought for a moment about his meds. "Though it's probably about time I gave him a visit..." He trailed off to himself, before turning attention to Xin. He quirked an eyebrow as the doctor's expression changed. It was only slight, but Kasai was able to pick up on it. Before answering the pilot's question about mechanical work he motioned to Ori. "It's not just about if you lose hold of your gun, Oriana. There are times where acting with a firearm would be unadvisable. And there are times when someone might catch you offguard, leaving you no time to pull the weapon. It's best to be able to defend yourself regardless." He was only taking this stance with the woman because for some reason he wanted Quinn to get her money's worth out of the tiny merc. He returned to Shai's questioning. "I could probably do a bit, though there might not be much I can [c]
17:18:51 [Kasai] do. Like ya said, Firefly-class ships ain't made for weaponry, and unless you increase your overall power output you'll always be pulling too much from the engines when you fire." He had shifted from his comfortable position when he changed from workout to business, his arms folded on his chest. "There might be a way to increase the power, but unless you do extensive modifications and get new parts it won't last long and might be dangerous..." He paused and looked to the corner, fearing he sounded more seasoned than he had lead on.

XinTou listened carefully and quietly, without pesky interruption about the previous crew. Wasn't his business, if Shai felt compelled to tell him later, he'd listen, but he wouldn't outright ask. After Shai had finished, Xin considered the proposition a moment, then replied slowly, seeming slightly lost in thought. "Well, I do have family on Bellerophon, and if we need somewhere to stay, they would of course not hesitate. However...if what you're suggesting brings trouble to their door or in any way associates them with anything illegal, I'm afraid I can't have them involved. Nothing personal." He added hurriedly. "It's just my mei-mei and her family have a reputation and livelihood to keep up." Oops. He hadn't meant to reveal that the vaguely mentioned family was his younger sister. Well, couldn't be helped.
Oriana made a face at Kasai’s back when he wasn’t looking at her. Not out of anger towards him or anything, she just didn’t like being talked down to, and his tone implied superiority (although she knew he was superior to her in these matters. It didn’t mean she had to like it). The idea of learning to fight without her gun, though, was an intriguing one, and she resolved to find more out about it once the current conversation concluded. Ori played with a curl of her hair as the conversation continued, looking over Xin with renewed interest. She figured, due to his pristine appearance and the fact that he seemed to be a very good doctor, that he must have come from a wealthy background. Her suspicions confirmed, Ori smiled a bit as he mentioned his younger sister. Aww, the doctor had a family. Ori turned her attention back to Kasai as he discussed the mechanics of the ship. Now, here was someone she couldn’t figure out. Ori averted her eyes, afraid the intensity of her gaze might draw his own. She hopped off (c)
17:49:15 [Oriana] the rail to stand beside Shai, he hands in her back pockets. “Am I gonna be able to help out on this job?” she asked hopefully.

Shaiyat found himself glad that Kasai was offering lessons to Oriana and not himself. He wasn't a merc any more than Xin was a mechanic. The pilot frowned-thoughtfully at Kasai's comment, crossing his arms as well. “Dangers what I'm tryin' ta avoid with the guns. Bringin' more on with 'em don't seem ta be right.” The frown cut deeper. “Well, if yer willin' ta take a look at what I got rigged up so far I'd appreciate it.” He left the conversation there for now, this new development with the doctor tugging strongly at him and his over active curiosity. He'd always wondered more about the man's family, as he found such things interesting. He'd only gotten a brief mention of the doctor's father...and that relationship hadn't sounded too great. But this one with a younger sister sounded different. The pilot nodded his head a bit towards Xin, appreciative of the offer as it surprised him to get such at all. “Well...'course we wouldn't let nothin' get traced back ta yer sister.” He smiled wide. “Part've this job is keepin' it real quiet just what were doin' and if we could stay with 'er...” A tentative glace was given to Xin, careful to not jump into anything too quickly if the doctor wanted to object. “Well, if we walk outta some place nice rather than this old ship it'd make us look more credible right?” The pilot's wheels were obviously turning now. “No one need ta know we're stayin' with 'er even...jus's give us a place ta go when we hide Vega...” He mumbled, mostly to himself. He needed to talk it all out with Quinn, as she was better at this sort of thing. But, he was certainly more hopeful. And then Ori's question came...and brought out the worry in Shai all over again. “A'course...ta pull this off we gotta fit in.” He bit his bottom lip. “Yeah, we'll need yer help Ori but we won't be shootin' nothin'...need ta come off as respectable folk somehow.” He bit his lip some more. Well, this was going to be harder than he thought. “Any one else wanna volunteer ta tell the Captain she'll have'ta dress up?” He chuckled uneasily.

Kasai had not meant to sound superior to the small woman, his tone was meant only in an instructive manner. And, in fact, her gaze did draw his. He turned to look at Oriana just as she put the face she had made at him away. He glanced back at the pilot. "I'd have no problem looking over your rigging. I might be able to help." As Shai began to go on about the job Kasai's wheels also started turning. "It really depends on what type of credibility you're looking to have, Shaiyat." He paused for a moment, stroking his goatee. "You aren't thinking of some kind of heist, are you? Or are you just trying to get in touch with these contacts of the former captain?" He'd be able better the more he knew about what was going on, though whether or not his help would be welcomed or accepted was yet to be seen. Acting was one of the things he did best, as well as covering up his tracks and keeping under the radar. The years he had spent working with the SAS and then those spent as an operative had given him much experience [c]
18:13:00 [Kasai] that he had ended up drawing from quite often in these past years. "Blending in and coming off as something you're not isn't too hard. A lot of it is in how you dress. If you look like people expect you to, you won't stand out and they'll brush you off as being anything other than what they expect..." He closed his mouth after this, deciding he didn't need to draw any more attention to himself and his wide array of skills.

18:14:27 [XinTou] So Shai's plan was to try and blend in with the locals. Xin quickly squashed down his first reaction, which was laughter. Shai and Quinn were the most obvious Browncoats he had seen in his life. You couldn't just paint a chair and call it a throne. But then again...he could be underestimating them. They might be able to pull it off as long as they didn't talk too much. Or, y'know, react badly to Alliance. Which they, y'know, DID. On that note... "You are aware that Bellerophon is basically the home of nearly all the Alliance nobility, correct? And while I'm not...saying no quite yet, I would like to speak to the Captain about this and also clear it with my sister and brother-in-law. And it goes beyond them not having it traced back to them. I mean, we literally cannot involve them. If there's even a slight risk that they need to be warned about, we should probably think of other options." Although the doctor knew his sister had an adventurous spirit, his brother-in-law was very upright and (c)[XinTou] particular. Good man, but very law-abiding and *very* high Alliance. Suppressing a grin of mirth at the face Oriana pulled at Kasai, he folded his arms across his chest, worried but...despite it all, vaguely intrigued. Kasai's extensive experience worried him some (leetle bit too much information on how to fool folk, thanks), but he made no passing mention of it.

Oriana looked up to Shai as he noted they wouldn’t be shooting guns. Aww. “I can be respectable!” she said eagerly, wanting to prove herself worthy even though she wouldn’t be able to show off her most valuable skills. She straightened her back, puffed up her chest, crossed her arms, and imitated Xin’s precise way of speaking. “I will be the most respectable woman this side of the ‘verse.” Relaxing, she asked in a more timid voice, “Will I have to leave Bessie behind?” The thought of not carrying her sidearm wasn’t a happy one, but she’d do it, if only to show the crew that she could do what was asked. The suggestion of learning to fight without a gun was becoming more and more appealing. Ori’s gaze flicked over to Kasai for a moment, wondering at his extensive knowledge but too shy to ask. She turned to Xin as he began to speak. She understood the need to protect his family, and sent a small smile at him, hoping he understood that she could empathize. Unable to stand still for too long, her tremors appearing (c)
18:27:27 [Oriana] more like fidgeting today, Ori began to pace the cargo room, close enough to the men that she stayed part of the conversation.

Shaiyat: “Ain't nothin' set in stone yet, need ta talk ta Quinn as well. Jus' know that these people Inas worked with always paid well...” He mentioned the former captain by name with another uneasy expression though it passed quicker this time. Shaiyat almost mentioned that of course he knew they were Alliance, they had money. But he kept his mouth shut. Browncoat through and through, the pilot might as well have an Independent flag tattooed to his forehead and painted on the outside of his ship...he'd considered the latter, and wanted the former though not in the same location. Yup. He mulled over things, not wanting to loose the opportunity with Xin's sister if they didn't have to. Even a place to stay that wasn't <i>Vega</i> would be a help. “We'll talk this out, an if we figure there won't be no trouble brought on yer family than we'll think on it.” He gave another nod, adding with emphasis towards Xin. “I ain't wantin' ta bring trouble to yer family anymore than I would to my own.” He meant it. The details of his plan however were kept quiet as he listened to Kasai's advice. Something tickled at the back of his mind. A warning to not give more than was needed to the stranger. As simple as Shaiyat was he'd been around the 'verse a time or two. And people who knew how to hide had done so a time or two. And for any number of reasons, most of which weren't good. “Will talk ta the Captain 'fore we get too ahead of ourselves. Was jus' an opportunity that came up.” His gaze moved to Ori and he smiled. “Well, that makes one'a us that'll be able ta talk on this mission...I ain't got no idea what I'm gonna do 'cept pretend I'm mute.” He joked.

Kasai nodded. "If things don't work out with Xin's family I might be able to provide an alternative." He watched Oriana as she began to pace, wondering what exactly caused her shakes and apparent need to move. "But..." He paused and looked to his sword. "I guess whether or not my assistance would be accepted would be up to the captain." He let out a small sigh. He began to think that keeping to himself might be the best idea for the extent of his stay, no matter how long it was. He knew the more he let off about himself the more he would ruffle their feathers and leave the crew trusting him even less. He made his way over to his katana and picked it up, examining it quietly as the others went about their own business.
Back to top Go down

Log 7 - Making plans
Page 1 of 1