The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awesome-ness, yo.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kasai's chat with the Doctor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
m o T a s

m o T a s

Kasai's chat with the Doctor Empty
PostSubject: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 11:18 pm

[[ timeline wise I think I'd place this after the continued log 6, unless Xin had been so tired he immediately needed sleep. My guess is that they'd be in Xin's room, as to facilitate a sense of privacy ]]

Finally Kasai had found the time to follow through on his request for a private chat with the doctor. He'd asked to have it in Xin's room, as he often found learning about someone else was easier when you were in their personal space, no matter how actually personalized it may or may not have been. He would take note of the room's cleanliness and lack of much personal decor. He had figured the doctor to be somewhat utilitarian, keeping only the things he needed or had much personal value to him. The religious figures piqued his interest, as he never took doctors in general as being very spiritual, though he knew it took all kinds for the 'verse to keep spinning. He wanted to start getting to know everyone with Xin only because he felt they might be able to share some kind of connection because of having been connected to the Alliance before turning away from it. Even though he knew their childhoods and reasons for leaving were completely different, just the fact of having ties with the giant government made Kasai feel slightly more at ease with the man than the other two.

Kasai would be standing somewhat comfortably, still wearing the shirt Shai had lent him earlier. He glanced around the room, taking it in as he opened up the conversation rather bluntly.
"So, Xin. I take it you're from an Alliance family?" He looked to the doctor, watching how he reacted to the forwardness of his statement. Kasai was fairly sure that he was right, due to the knowledge the doctor possessed, along with his slightly 'rich boy' air.
Back to top Go down
XinTou

XinTou

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 am

At the moment, the tattooed doctor was sitting at his desk, quietly polishing the pretty gold trinket that usually hung from his lamp. Upon close inspection, the trinket seemed to be either a closed compass or pocketwatch. Either way, the thing was superbly made, as if crafted by Hephaestus himself. Delicate tendrils of gold designed in graceful spirals, hints of a bronze inlay, a thin gold chain, and a small gold coat hook encrusted with diamonds. In his peripheral vision, he noticed Kasai's observation of the religious figurines on his desk but decided not to comment either way. Let the man assume whatever he wanted.

Kasai might be either surprised or let down by Xin's reaction. Or rather, his lack of one. Xin responded to the mercenary's frankness with a small chuckle, keeping his eyes on the task at hand. Finally, he grunted a small, "Hm." Although it wasn't too specific, it seemed that was Xin's way of confirming Kasai's suspicions. Still not looking up, he asked conversationally, "I take it you're an Alliance-trained assassin?" Although there was a slight questioning lilt at the end of his sentence, it was clear that it was more of a statement than an actual inquiry. Gao Xin Tou was no idiot. And Kasai's somber killing spree, combined with his vast amount of knowledge in odd areas had led the 'rich boy', as he had been dubbed, to one conclusion. However, he didn't seem overly concerned about it. His tone betrayed no fear or alarm, just a lazy interest. As long as Kas was pushing to know more about his personal life and history, it seemed fair play.
Back to top Go down
m o T a s

m o T a s

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:00 am

The doctor's statement was a definite confirmation of the former operative's question. Of course there must be conspiracy theories, and even historical evidence that all powerful governments employ special agents to take care of delicate missions; but only someone that had dealings with the Alliance would make such an assumption without hesitation or doubt in their voice. Kasai's demeanor changed, dropping to a state of calm coldness more akin to the trained killer resting it's laurels inside him.
"Very astute." He quietly made his way to the doctor's gun rack turned bookshelf, browsing over the books. Kasai traced a finger over the title and author of each book, interested in the doctor's choice of reading material.

He stood for a moment, placing his hands behind his back in a formal manner before speaking again.
"So, Doctor. If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to ally yourself with the Independents?" He always found the former Alliance Brown Coats to be interesting, since in truth there weren't a large number of them. He thought back to himself before adding, "Also, I don't think I ever caught your full name." There were so many more questions to be asked, but they had to go one at a time and Kasai knew the doctor would have just as many questions for him as well.
Back to top Go down
XinTou

XinTou

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 am

The doctor opened the lid of the small golden ornament, which lived up to appearances: it was, in fact, a pocket watch. But not just any pocket watch. No, this particular watch seemed to be at least a few centuries old, for indeed, it still needed winding. As Xin continued to polish its glass face, he finally looked up, gracing Kasai with a small semblance of a grin. "Well, I don't know how astute it is. You are not altogether...subtle." His tone was light, almost in jest, but it carried with it a fair warning. "The Captain knows in her heart of your differences, has suspicions, she just can not name it like I can. Hence, her coolness towards your presence. " After winding the watch, he closed it once more and replaced it on the lamp.

Swiveling around in his chair, he turned to fully face Kasai, managing to keep a friendly expression on. He seemed a fair and neutral judge, willing to listen, but contrary to what Kasai might think, not eager to know. He felt a man's past was best left there, unless it was immediately medically relevant. Pft. Doctors. "Well, I'm afraid it's rather anti-climatic. I joined the Independents at the height of my teenage rebellion." He shrugged, genuinely smiling this time, as if to say, 'told you it was a lame reason'. "The Alliance later gave me other reasons to stay on this side." His smile died back down to his trademark smirk, which indicated that right there was as far as he wanted to get on that particular topic.

At Kas's second question, Xin extended his hand. "Xin Tou. Dr. Gao, if you prefer formalities." He joked slyly.
Back to top Go down
m o T a s

m o T a s

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

A smirk crossed Kasai's lips as Xin first spoke. He would wait until the doctor finished speaking before he began to respond. He turned to Xin when the doctor began his formal introduction, taking the offered hand and giving a firm, single shake. Kasai let the name sit on his mind for the time being, for it sounded familiar but did not trigger any immediate thoughts.
"Kasai Doneghan..." He paused for a moment, hoping that the doctor would understand his next statement, "I'm afraid that formally I have no name." His gaze dropped to the ground as he said it, recalling the circumstances that lead to his becoming an individual that no longer existed on formal records. After a short moment his gaze would return to the doctor, and his hands would be again behind his back. His voice would return to a normal tone, emotions once again backing his words.

"Though, any man can kill a group of other men you know. It doesn't take special Alliance training. I do understand the captain's overall suspicion of me, but unless she's had personal dealings with another of my kind I would hope that she isn't so paranoid as to suspect such a thing." He paused for a moment, the name Gao finally sinking in. His facial expression gave away exactly what he thought 'ah, so that's why that sounded familiar'. He quirked an interested brow at the doctor in front of him, a link in his past making him more interested than he was before. "You must know, Dr. Gao. Small massacres like that are an uncommon thing for me... now." He looked to the side, seeming ashamed of those words. "Anyways, I'm guessing you understand why I chose to talk to you first. Any thread of similar ground, however small, is easier to tread than uncommon hostile territory." He turned an eye to the exquisite pocket watch before speaking again.

"Will you keep your insight into my background to yourself, meiyo no ishi1?" He paused, closing his eyes. "Or will I need to find other passage when your captain kicks me off her boat?" He turned his gaze to the doctor, unsure of his true intentions and wondering why he held his air as it was.

---
1 - honored doctor
Back to top Go down
XinTou

XinTou

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Xin merely nodded to Kasai's explanation of not truly having a name. Whether or not he understood the concept, he understood enough to know that it wasn't his business and he didn't want it to be. Besides, as long as the man had a name he would respond to, everything else was unimportant.

The doctor actually broke into a genuine smile at Kasai's attempt at justification, holding up his hands in a genial gesture of 'don't get worked up'. "No need to be defensive. It was partially a good guess." He admitted freely, still grinning. It could be unnerving at times, how very relaxed and unconcerned Xin was in situations where he needed to be completely frantic and concerned. Situations like, I don't know, having a killer in the same room with you. Just a thought. Still, the doctor could not look more at ease. "And yes, many a person can kill a group of men, but no two people will kill them with the same...stylistic choices, if you will."

For a brief moment, Xin's facial expression and tone darkened, as he leaned forward to express the importance of what he was about to say. "You see, the unease of everyone comes not from the fact that you are a killer but HOW you kill. Like me, like all those who come from Alliance, you slither." He said this with no self-judgment in his voice, just matter-of-factly. "We are snakes in the rats den. And no matter how long you may defend your favored rats nest, no matter how many other snakes you bite, neither you nor they will forget that you are a snake, and they are a rat. So don't make the mistake of underestimating the captain. She doesn't have to be one of us to know a snake when she sees one." His cryptic words sounded very nearly ominous, but in the next moment, he brightened. "But hopefully, like myself, you'll find your place in this particular den and be happy here, eventually finding that you'd rather belong in a place you shouldn't belong, as opposed to not belonging to a place you should belong." That last part was particularly important to the doctor, personally. Despite the fact that he would always be a rich Alliance boy in front of these people, they took him as one of their own. He had never quite fit into the high Alliance culture, despite being born into it. As an afterthought, he added, "Although Captain Driscol is currently not your biggest fan, she is a fair woman, and will not do you a bad turn unless you do her one first."

Being nobody's fool, he did of course notice Kasai's expression of putting two and two together in regards to his name, and still, refrained from commenting. There were many Gao families in the 'Verse, even other Gaos that helped to establish the Alliance. Let Kasai figure what he wanted, as long as he didn't go shouting it off rooftops.

His brow quirked slightly at Kasai's next question, before shrugging. "I don't view you as an immediate threat, meiyo no dasanteki.*" He mumbled, lightly mocking the man's seriousness with a small flare of his lips. Taking a moment to wipe some dust off of the Madonna's face with his thumb, he continued. "The day that changes...well, I'm a fair man. I will let you know before I inform the captain. I will, however, be armed as I do so. I am not a moron." He laughed softly, enjoying the fact that he had possibly met someone to share his dark, dry sense of humor.

m o T a s

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Kasai listened as Xin made his statements, and a smirk crossed his lips once again. The mention of his supposed stylistic choices brought fond memories of his mentor to him, which was where he had garnered much of his preferences in weaponry and combat. His eyes fell into a nostalgic glaze and a true smile snook it's way to his face. He was brought once again to the moment as the doctor began to make his metaphoric statement as to the nature of those raised in the Alliance and those who were not. He liked the comparison, nodding along as Xin continued. It was perhaps the most eloquent way Kasai had heard it put, and of course, it made quite a good bit of sense. But, as he could recall, the former operative had never truly felt like he belonged with the military he had left or the council he had served. Indeed, he was no rat. But perhaps he was not a snake, either.

Kasai could tell the doctor was completely at ease, and he liked it. Half of the reason the merc traveled alone for so long was because he easily tired of companions always being wary of him and watching his every move. Perhaps normal people would be put off by Xin's relaxed attitude, but Kasai was finding it to be quite enjoyable. He enjoyed the presence of others similar to himself, that stayed calm when others would squirm.

"You explain it with such eloquence... Though, I doubt too many have even been in our position in the first place." He verbally wandered for a moment before returning to the conversation. "I understand what you mean. I found out just a few years ago that it was nicer to belong where I shouldn't. But," he paused, "those gracious times do not seem to last forever." He looked away, thoughts of shame running through his mind which would not be apparent on his face. "I don't want to overstep my bounds, certainly. But I hope to at least garner some allies from my stay here, if nothing more." Kasai leaned comfortably against an open spot on the wall, his tone lightening. "You might want to reconsider your plan for confronting me about bearing your insights to the captain, though. I'm much less likely to strike someone who's unarmed." He winked lightly, hoping to join in on the joke before opening another question.

"How long have you known the captain and her pilot, by the way?"
Back to top Go down
XinTou

XinTou

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Xin tilted his head and looked up at the metal roof above him, lost in thought a moment. "Let's see...I was employed on here for...six months? Something like that, six months, then that broadcast about Miranda came out and we ran out of jobs, I took off and actually made an honest dollar off of the Alliance for two years. Practicing medicine on the border and rim planets. We kept in touch so technically...two and a half years, I s'pose." He gave a low whistle. "Time's a funny thing. It's technically almost irrelevant due to the whole" and here he made grand gestures with his hands "space...thing, but it still passes fast, despite everything."

After he spoke, he covered his mouth with his hand, stifling a yawn. "Speaking of time, I think it's past my bedtime. The rest some other time, then?"

((I'm pausing here because we're playing this weekend. Very Happy))
Back to top Go down
m o T a s

m o T a s

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Kasai gave a soft nod, understanding that most people needed their precious sleep.
"Sorry to keep you up later than normal, Xin." He pushed himself away from his spot on the wall and made his way out of the room. He turned just before leaving to add, "Get some good rest, don't want a tsukare ishi1 working on me if I get shot up." He smiled and then left the doctor to himself, heading to his room to get some 'rest' himself, needing to meditate for quite a bit to counteract the lack of his medication.

---
1 - tired doctor

[[We'll have to decide when next they'd get to talk 'privately']]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kasai's chat with the Doctor   Kasai's chat with the Doctor Empty

Back to top Go down

Kasai's chat with the Doctor
Page 1 of 1