The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awesome-ness, yo.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Log 11 - Escape from Bellerophron (con't)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alatus
Admin
Alatus

Log 11 - Escape from Bellerophron (con't) Empty
PostSubject: Log 11 - Escape from Bellerophron (con't)   Log 11 - Escape from Bellerophron (con't) EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 am

Summary: After leaving Bellerophron, Shaiyat gets a chance to check on Quinn. Her surgery goes without a hitch but the conversation after is a little rocky. Kasai joins the group and they all discuss going to Harvest and picking up Skywake with some resistance. While an agreement is reached to go despite Shaiyat's apprehensions, harsh words are exchanged between Kasai and Quinn. Quinn begins making plans for payment with Javan.

Shaiyat finally was able to feel a little bit of relief once they broke out of atmo, the darkness of space washing over the <i>Vega</i>. The temperature inside the ship dropped some as they were surrounded by the cold of space as well. Shai couldn't stop thinking about Quinn. He felt rather responsible for her getting shot, even though there was no way he could've known the party would go the way it did. After a bit of time spent planning their next course towards Harvest and getting them away from Bellerophron he left the cockpit. With a deep breath he made his way down stairs, still dressed in pirate garb. He hovered outside the sick bay, peeking into the window if the door wasn't open and knocked tentatively. “How's things goin' down here?”

[XinTou] With painstakingly precise movements of his steel tongs, Xin first removed any bits of shrapnel that came off the main bullet, spraying an anti-septic after he had done so. Now came the tricky part. With a gloved finger, he gently probed at and around the exposed bone, looking for bone chips. Sigh of relief when he didn't find any. That made everything a lot easier. Taking up the tongs again, he gently attempted to extricate what was left of the bullet, taking care not to scratch the muscle. A few knitted-brow moments later, he let the bullet clatter into a nearby metal plate. Now able to relax, he bandaged the captain up and readjusted her head so that she would sleep comfortably for the next ten minutes or so that she would sleep. He had begun putting away his tools and snapping off his gloves when Shai knocked. Grinning at the man's shyness, the still costumed doctor beckoned him in. " 'S fine. Much smoother than I thought."

(Shaiyat) “Glad ta hear it...” A small smile crept up on his face as he slipped into the room, his eye pinned on Quinn as she slept. “She ain't gonna be happy when she wakes up I bet.” Shai found himself a stool, planting himself not too far from the captain as he watched Xin with the small small smile. “Bet ya haven't done much doctorin' in costume, huh? Don't know what even happen at that party...seems like we ain't got the best of luck. Got the contact we needed though...” He paused, shifting uneasily on his seat. “Picked up another passenger too.” He glanced towards Quinn again. “'Less she kicks him out inta space.”

XinTou grinned as he grabbed some makeup remover and a soft cloth and began wiping his face down. "She'll holler, but it's not my fault. Wounds with exposed bone are always sensitive. She'd thank me if she knew how it felt awake." His grin got a little tighter at the mention of new passengers. Xin was always a little tense around new people. And familiar people. And...well, all people. Still, he maintained a neutral tone as he continued wiping the makeup off of his face, revealing his tattoos again. "Well, it'll be interesting to have new presences on the ship, and it'd be entertaining to watch someone getting sucked out of the hatch. Win-win, really."

Quinn began to drift back to conscientiousness. She stayed still as she awoke, keeping her eyes closed as she muddled through what was going on. Although she'd only been out for a short period of time it felt like forever. Xin and Shai's voices eventually pulled her completely back to reality, a small groan announcing so as she tilted her head and peered toward the pair through squinted eyes. “That went... well,” she commented during a break in the conversation, squeezing her eyes shut with a sigh. One hand went to her hip and briefly explored the bandaging. “So... who'm I supposed to jettison?”

Shaiyat's eye widened quite a bit at Xin's words. He tried an uneasy laugh to shake it off, as he knew where the doctor was coming from. If the new passenger hadn't been his brother, the pilot wouldn't have been as disturbed by the image. He ran a hand through his hair, opening his mouth to speak just as Quinn came to. His smile returned as he leaned towards her. “Everythin' went fine Driscol...” Unfortunately for him, the subject of the their newest passenger came up right away. “My...uh...brother needed'a ride an we were in a hurry so I figured...we could stop on they way ta Harvest.” He shrugged, looking around the room at anything but the captain... “Javan won't be trouble...” He tried to be reassuring.

XinTou gave Shai a reassuring smirk, to let him know he had been kidding. Then he looked to the awakening captain. "Oh look, we didn't have to get a handsome prince or anything." He drawled dryly, winking as he removed the last bit of spirit gum from his eyebrow. Then, as he carefully attempted to take out his one contact, he started slightly at Shaiyat's mention of a brother. "Brother? I didn't know you had family on Bellerophon too." At the thought, Xin's face turned down somewhat. He hadn't really had time to give his sister and her family a proper goodbye. Hm.

Quinn appeared confused after Shai spoke. She responded to Xin first since his banter was easier to process. “You find one lemme know... now... who? And what?” Quinn asked, brows knitting together. It took a moment but it eventually dawned on her that they'd run in to Shai's brother at the party. “Oh.” She frowned and tried to come up with the memory of his following them out to the stolen taxi. It was blurry, but there. “I'll talk to him bout that later... first we need to talk about Harvest.” Oh yeah... that. Quinn wasn't looking forward to bringing this up to Shai so late in the game. “Kelsey wants us to pick up his kid. Wants him moved to Paquin. They'll pay 800 credits 'n any repairs we need. Hard to refuse for one passenger...” She waited, attempting briefly to sit up before she leaned back down with a sigh.

(Shaiyat) “Didn't expect ta meet any family really...seems my brother was just workin' the party is all. Like I said, we got interesting luck.” He paused, catching Xin's expression and guessing what may be behind it. “Sorry we had ta just rush off world...didn't plan on things goin' the way they did.” He wrung his hands a little before his attention went back to Quinn. He'd been rather confused as to just why they were going towards Harvest. He honestly figured it was simply a direction for them to head in...not their actual destination. Now it was his turn to frown. He leaned back on his stool, arms crossed. “Ya know what kinda folk is out there, right Quinn? Better luck we might have more than one passenger...lotsa uninvited passengers.” The frown stayed. He really didn't want to be unhappy with her so soon after the chaos....but going into Reaver territory for any reason made his insides go numb. “Kelsey could find himself someone else...” He half-whispered.

Kasai appeared outside the infirmary as the others were speaking. He had removed his costume, including his make-up and wig. He was wearing a grey jumpsuit with half sleeves which was mostly unzipped, revealing a white tank-top underneath. His feet were bare. "Your brother may not be trouble, Shai," Kas paused as he took a step forward, "And we might run into some interesting folk out on the Rim, but is no one worried about that man who was so definitely interested in all of you?" He leaned on the frame of the entryway, crossing his arms. "A job and some credits are nice, but if you've got money out on your head we're even more likely to run into the kind of folk willin' to profit from it the farther we get from the core." He paused, closing his eyes. "And some deep trouble's brewin' if you're still a worthwhile target at a upscale party on a highly protected planet like Bellerophon." He glanced at everyone, his gaze stopping at the pilot. "Though it could be your brother who attracted that unwanted attention."

[Quinn] “The risk is heavy,” Quinn agreed, “but we're prepared. Have the cannon on the hull... Nar's outfitted the cargo bay with a gun case we're boarded. Vega needs a few things 'n to get that and fuel paid, plus the wage ain't bad...” She attempted to sit up again, pushing herself up with a wince. She leaned off the injured hip and fiddled with Inas' shirt. Being in the sickbay was starting to make her feel nervous, despite all the doctoring being finished. Grey eyes flickered to Kasai as he entered and narrowed some. She let him finish. “No way anyone here was the target. Less it was one of Brown's boys, and I'll be damned if I let a good job go cause of his sorry ass.” Despite her confidence Oriana's report had weighed heavily on Quinn's mind. It was definitely suspicious. The captain's eyes flickered briefly to Xin. He was the most likely to have a price on his head on that particular planet, but the clues didn't really point his way. She peered Shai's way next, Kasai's comment on his brother raising <c>
17:05:09 [Quinn] her suspicion.

Shaiyat already found himself uncomfortable with the whole situation, Kasai's words making him feel even more so. He let the job on Harvest rest for a bit while he answered. “Javan? Ain't no reason I know of someone would go through some much trouble ta get at him. Or us...far as I know. Figured we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.” His gaze settled on the merc with a frown. Feeling Quinn's eyes on him made the pilot that much more defensive. “He's a damn musician...not like he's some mercenary with blood on his hands.” The pilot's mood darkened, though truly it had less to do with Kasai and more to do with going anywhere near Reavers. “Don't like any of it Quinn, guns or not.” He returned to the first subject, glaring at the floor. “Don't like it at all.” It wasn't really a refusal to go, but the pilot was on the edge of it, crossing his arms tighter to try and hide how much he was beginning to shake.

Kasai 's glance fell to the floor. "Don't discount the fact that you might have bigger enemies out there that you aren't entirely aware of, you two." He responded to the captain and pilot's tandem addumptions. He spoke again, after a moment's pause. "You'd be more prepared for any kind of attack if I had my ship too." He let it slip out casually, knowing it needed to be said eventually. "Though it's yet to be seen if I'll maintain a debt to you, and I doubt you could afford my rates after I return to work." He returned his gaze to the pilot. "There ain't such a thing as 'wrong place, wrong time' when a gunman's got his sights in your direction... No matter how bad a shot he is." He turned to Quinn, addressing her. "I don't mean to drop the job, just that this matter might end up being more pressing, is all. Don't want a kid on the ship if someone's got a bounty on their head." He scratched the back of his head, then returned his arm to the crossed position.

XinTou looked from person to person, his forehead wrinkling in confusion. There was a reason why medics didn't plan out these dangeous schemes; as they were all medically unsafe, if it were up to Xin, he'd probably be content to just drift safely in the 'Verse. He remained silent through the talk, throwing a concerned glance the frightened pilot's way. After a moment, he raised his hand with raised eyebrows. "Um, question? Well, two, actually. First, someone brief me on why we need to be worried about bounties. Second, why are we transporting a child? And, additional question, is there any way to Paquin without going through Reaver territory?"

Quinn lifted her hands after Shai's annoyed response to her suspicions on his brother. She'd let it fly for now, but she'd certainly grill Javan about it later. He hadn't seen his brother in how many years? Enough for him to get in a heap of trouble. As conversation turned back to their newest job proposition, Quinn frowned, watching Shai after he spoke. She knew this wasn't going to go over easy, and found herself struggling between being his friend and being the captain of the ship. Kasai interrupted that line of thought and saved her from answering the pilot right away. “The black's a dangerous place regardless if we got enemies or not. It's Kelsey's kid and he knows us well. Like I said, this job's too good to let go.” Quinn shifted uncomfortably. “But that does open the problem of goin' away from yer ship. Wherever it is.” She decided to ignore his quip about the price of his services and decided to answer Xin instead. “Transportin' a kid will get us fuel, repairs 'n 800 credits. Not Paquin I'm worried <c>
17:41:26 [Quinn] about, just gettin' to Harvest. It's mighty close to Miranda.” A semi-guilty glance was shot Shai's way as she cleared her throat. “As far as bounties go... no reason for me to believe we've got one on this ship. I'm not about to tuck tail 'n hide just cause of speculation.” She paused. “So I'm hearin' no one wants this side from me?”

(Shaiyat) “Harvest is where the Reaver's are....we make it outta there we can take the long way ta Paquin and be safe fer the most part.” He frowned, arms still crossed as he reiterated Quinn's words with a shudder. “If the kid is on Harvest we ain't got a choice. Of course, we may not run into anyone at all out there. Still don't like goin' that close and chancing it.” He tapped his foot some, not liking the choice they were being given. It was no lie that <i>Vega</i> was old, and even with Nar they'd need repairs sooner rather than later. And without a ship they had no livelihood at all. They didn't have any other job prospects at the moment...he sighed. He wasn't happy about arguing with Quinn, ad much as his stomach was in knots simply hearing the word 'Reaver.' “My thoughts are we head that way, if we spot trouble we turn tail and get the hell out of there. Kelsey can find another taxi then...” He thought out loud. It wasn't the most logical plan but the pilot was trying to comprimise. He glanced Kasai's way. “Yer in the profession of knowin' who's got money over their head...my brother or us ever come up?” He asked, though he didn't figure he'd get an answer. Xin was given a small smile, though it seemed forced. He was still shaking. “Guess we are more prepared this time...what you think Xin?”

Kasai shook his head at the pilot. "I've been out of the loop for over a month. My ship is my livelihood, too. All my records and means of communication are in it." He shifted slightly. "Besides, I don't deal in death contracts... Anymore." He understood the worry that most people held in association to Reavers, but he was on the opposite end of the spectrum. The chance to find them and kill them was a thrill to the merc, and it was one of his favorite hobbies. "I do agree with the capitaine, though. Most likely this job is worth it, just don't want you to not consider every risk. If it comes down to worst case scenario, Reavers aren't unkillable." He paused for a moment, as most people tend to consider him crazy for even suggesting such a thing. "So turnin' tail should only be a last resort." He clenched his right fist, all this talk of Reavers making a pain shoot down his arm for a short moment. "But that's in the future. All we can do is make sure we're as prepared as possible, right?" He paused <c>
18:08:41 [Kasai] for a short moment then shot a smile in Quinn's direction. "Glad you're fine, by the way... And sorry for coppin' a feel without takin' you on a date, first." He winked, then turned his gaze back towards the fidgity pilot. <e>

[XinTou] "No, I mean, WHY are we transporting the child? The actual reason. I'm apprehensive going into that without knowing the exact reason." He didn't want to say it out loud, but his tone alone heavily implied that the idea of 'transporting children for money' smacked of slave labor to him. To the rest of the news, he shrugged. "Well, unless I find a better paying job, I suppose I'm up for come what may." He smirked, clapping Shaiyat on the back. "In my experience, in matters outside of the sickbed, it's best just to throw your arms up and resign yourself to fate. Besides, Harvest has a monopoly on a really fantastic indigo tattoo ink. I'll draw a half-naked girl with an eyepatch on your other arm for ya." He joked, poking the pilot in the ribs, hoping to have him lighten up some.

Quinn nodded slowly to Shai's condition. Kasai answered for her with this mentioning Reavers weren't immortal, and that of course they'd fight before they fled, if the odds weren't stacked against them. Which... being out on the Rim, where they were likely to encounter more than one ship, it was possible. Quinn abandoned that thought, snorting at Kasai as he couldn't help but finish with a smart ass remark. “God must be kind, sparin' me from that memory,” she said, then shifted her attention to Xin. “The kid's mother is with some radical group on a base in Harvest. Dunno the particulars, but they're gettin' ready for a job that'll use every man they got. So the kid needs a ride to family on Paquin 'n Kelsey figures we're the only trustworthy criminals he knows.” She smiled a bit at Xin's jest and nodded toward Kasai. “You watch the kid, I'll pay you. Figure it's time I put you to work.”

(Shaiyat) “We ain't unkillable either.” The pilot mumbled as he glanced at the floor again, kicking at some imaginary dirt with another sigh. Like it or not they were going to Harvest. He nearly jumped through the ceiling when Xin clapped his back, but it didn't take him long to calm down after. Well, in the way the doctor was right...he could just resign himself to going. Though in the back of his mind the pilot kept the possibility of running. It was his ship after all, and he'd turn around if he damn well pleased. He kept that to himself however. He managed to stop shaking mostly, poking Xin back in the shoulder as he actually smiled at the idea of another tattoo. “As long as ya make 'er blonde.” He glanced Quinn's way with a 'wink'. He took a couple deep breaths and answered Xin's question about the child further. “Kelsey is sorta family ta me, so the kid is my nephew in a way.”

Kasai fell silent at the mention of watching a child. He shook his head. "I'm no good with kids, capitaine. You'd do better to find your babysitter elsewhere. I charge extra for doin' things I'm not fond of." He spoke without looking in the pilot's direction, "Aye, that's true. But I've faced more than my fair share of the monsters and they've yet to take me from the light o' the 'verse." He shook his head again and huffed. "Doubt we've got time as of now to find my bird, but having two ships would certainly even the odds." He threw it out again, but decided on dropping it afterwards. "If you insist on having me watch that kid I guess I can negotiate on a price, but I'd rather do it in private." He let out a soft sigh, "And if 'God' were kind, then I wouldn't exist and the 'verse would be happily unified. Much more likely you just blocked it on your own to sheild yourself from the guilty pleasure." He couldn't help but chuckle quietly to himself.

XinTou nodded, his mind slightly more at ease about the kid. He always got nervous on missions that didn't ask questions, because you never quite knew who you were helping and who you were hurting. He kind of frowned when Quinn asked Kasai to take care of the kid. Nothing against the man personally, but he didn't seem like the type to get along with children. After Kasai said the exact same thing, Xin raised his hand questioningly again, like he was back in class. "If the kid wants to hang in the sickbay and crash in the empty bunk next to mine, I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on him. I'm not particularly great with kids, but after they get over the initial scare of my appearance, we generally get along fine." Also, when Kas and Quinn weren't looking, he slipped a "ook-ed out" glance to Shai when the two pseudo-flirted. Ew, adults were gross.

[Quinn] Shai's 'wink' and little comment caused Quinn to smirk a little. “Don't forget the peg leg,” she said dryly. She couldn't help but snort a little bit when the pilot mentioned how the kid was kinda-sorta family. After stealing from the sickbay, going on a drug binge and getting kicked off the ship she wondered how Maysen would still be held in high regard, even if it was through the weirdo he hung out with. Quinn came out of her reverie when Kasai answered her. She sighed... and her expression darkened at the last bit. “How bout we drop it Kasai, 'fore I lose my patience with you 'n stop haulin' you around. You don't watch the kid, you'll do somethin' else to pay yer way. Whatever you charge ain't my concern – you owe me. As for yer ship, I hope you find it soon, 'n if you do we won't be havin' you along.” Seemed Kasai knew just what to say to get on the captain's bad side... though, it could just be really easy to do. She sighed, shifting closer to the edge of the bed and wincing along the way, a sour <c>
18:55:07 [Quinn] look given the floor. Like she needed more trouble walking. She nodded some when Xin offered to take care of the kid – Quinn really didn't care who did, as long as it wasn't primarily her. “Good. Kid-care'll be split among everyone now 'n then so the pay can be split even. You got any painkillers?”

(Shaiyat) “So glad you escaped unharmed Kasai, ain't all of us been so lucky.” Shai blurted, his tone laced with bitterness. He immediately regretted it, as he truly didn't wish any injuries on the merc...he simply was defensive of his own. He waved a hand soon after, almost apologetically. It seemed like they were all on the edge, and honestly after Kasai's comment Shai had expected Quinn to go off. He winced a little, moving towards Quinn and placing a hand on her shoulder. “Been a long night fer all of us I think. Think we could all us some rest.” He glanced Kasai's way, hoping he caught the hint.

Kasai huffed again. Narrowing his eyes at the captain. "Findin' my ship ain't gonna be easy if I don't have any cooperation from those kind enough to have me along. I'll pitch in for you, mon capitaine, but I won't consider this a debt too much longer if you keep cartin' me around on your missions without givin' me time to find my bird." Internally the merc was getting upset, but visibly he remained calm and composed. He shook his head at the pilot before speaking. "I'll take my leave. If anybody needs me I'll be in my quarters." He pushed himself away from his leaning spot and turned around, making his way from the group towards his room.

[Quinn] “That bastard wants us to drop everything and haul his ass around til he finds his damn ship, he'll be payin' us,” she grumbled, loud enough for Kasai to hear after the merc left the room. Truth be told they really couldn't afford not to work, so it would have to wait... indefinitely, if Kasai was unable to pay them for their trouble. Quinn had hoped he would find what he needed simply tagging along with the crew, but that didn't seem like it was the case. She sighed Shai's way. “Might need yer help gettin' down to my bunk,” she admitted in a low tone, still looking a little guilty about the whole Harvest thing. “But first I need to speak with Javan.”

Shaiyat was already by Quinn's bedside, so he put an arm out to wrap around her once she got her feet on the floor fully. He made no mention of the help, instead going a little quiet when she mentioned his brother. “Things'll work out with Kasai” He paused. “Honestly where we're headed havin' another who can use'a gun ain't such a bad thing.” H tried to smile, showing there weren't many hard feeling about the whole Harvest job. He wasn't happy about it but...he would deal. “I'll find Jav....you ain't mad I let him on are ya?”

[Kasai] "This bastard just wants you to help out when you've got the time, is all." Kasai retorted, raising his voice enough so the captain could hear. He actually smiled as he continued to walk away, seeming to enjoy the name-calling. He shook his head to himself, thinking aloud in a hushed tone. "Don't worry. You'll find me more to your liking after we've actually fought side-by-side." He glanced back towards the sickbay before heading up the stairs to the mess.

Quinn rolled her eyes at Kasai's response as she continued to move slowly to the floor. She slid off the bed with a sharp inhale and clutched the blanket as to remain covered, after a moment she leaned away from Shai and onto her good leg. “Hold this,” she said, motioning toward the blanket. If the pilot complied Quinn reached up to strip out of the ridiculous shirt, leaving her in her more normal tank top. “I'm not mad, just want to figure him out a little.” The woman started forward, determined to have a conversation outside the sickbay. She hobbled along until she reached the couch out in the hallway, where she lowered herself carefully and situated the blanket covering her legs.

Javan just so happened to be in the mess hall, bent over the sink as he tried to wash off some of the red glitter he'd worn for the party from his face and hair. Shai had told him he'd be right back...but that had been a while ago. He jumped a little when Kasai entered, offering a small smile very similar to his brother's as he quickly dried off his hands and face before coming over to offered a hand. “Didn't get ta really introduce myself before...my name is Javan and I'll be hitching a ride for a short time with you all.” His smile widened as he waited for Kasai's response. He didn't have long to wait however. Shaiyat had helped Quinn to the couch. “We ain't too much different, you'll see. He was just born ahead'a me by a minute or two and so he talks more.” Shai laughed a little before he darted away, coming into the mess hall and interrupting the meeting between musician and merc. “Quinn wants'ta meet ya.” He waved his brother over with a small smile Kasai's way. He returned with Javan, the musician bowing a little Quinn's way once he made his way to the couch. “Well, it's no wonder my brother enjoys his time on this ship.” He grinned before extending his hand. “Javan Oth'fyrr...”

Kasai offered his hand to then musician. "Kasai, and I'm just hitchin' a ride myself, it seems." Though he put his hand back down as the man was pulled away by his brother. He raised a brow, but paid no mind to it and continued through the mess towards the corridor. He stopped outside his room, glancing towards the cockpit. He noticed a guitar leaning against the entrance and out of curiosity made his way towards it. <i>Must belong to that Javan character.<i> He picked it up, looking behind him as he did so. "Hope he doesn't mind me playing." The merc made his way back to the mess with the instrument, pulling a chair away and sitting down. He slowly plucked a few strings before laying his fingers into a chord. "It's been so long since I've played." He chuckled, a small smile crossing his lips. He slowly began to pluck out a somber tune, closing his eyes as he did so. His smile grew, becoming more genuine for a moment.

Quinn 's makeup was smeared, her hair messed and she was half dressed in a blanket, so when Javan went about trying to flatter her she snorted. “Have a seat, Javan,” she answered, nodding a little but ignoring his hand. The man would probably learn that flattery would typically get him no where with Quinn. “So I hear you need a ride. You got a place in mind?”

Javan shot Shai an uneasy smile before he moved to sit on the arm of the couch as well. “That's right. I heard you were going to Harvest?” He paused, buttoning the red shirt he wore up a little. He wasn't 'on show' any longer and glad to be that way. “There's a lot of space between here and there...I have friends on Athens or Highgate. I'd be happy ta pay for a ride to either.” He fiddled with a button on his shirt. Shai winced, having planted himself against the wall next to the couch, leaning there as he listened. He winced for two reasons, though he only voiced the first for now. “We ain't gonna have ya pay Jav...”

Kasai continued to quietly pluck out the song on the guitar, solemnly enjoying the sound. [[ this is the song he is playing, consider it my post Razz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfHmfj3k71g ]]

Quinn waited to respond until Shai finished, a short glance shot the pilot's way. “Little out of the way, but either will work. I will have you pay. This boat doesn't run on good looks. You can't pay with cash we'll arrange somethin' else.” She watched the man, waiting for him to say what would be easiest in terms of payment. It was strange finally meeting Shai's twin, and she couldn't help but look between the two a few times.

Shaiyat and his twin weren't identical, but they were close. Javan was slightly shorter and more square, built more than his pilot-brother who just couldn't seem to keep on weight. Anyhow, Javan smirked at Shai resistance to him paying...he'd expected as much. But he wanted to keep peace and money was a good way to do just that. “I can pay with what I have on me, and if that ain't enough to fill your going rate, I can get you the rest once we dock.” He waved a hand towards Shai, though the pilot protested anyway. “Ma would be horrified if I made ya pay...” He frowned, glancing away down the hall as he figured this was going to be a losing argument. “Taken ya there first puts us in'a bad place ta get ta Harvest, may be better to drop ya afterward I'm thinkin'...” He didn't look Quinn's way, though his pause showed he waited for her thoughts. At the same time both Javan and Shai looked up towards the mess hall when the guitar music reached them. Javan looked just as confused as his brother. “Didn't leave no music playin....” Shai commented offhand.

[Quinn] “Would be easier to drop you off after we visit Harvest,” Quinn agreed, quirking a brow. “How're you with kids?"

[XinTou] After the informal meeting had more or less adjourned, Xin took to his bunk to de-costumify. Made up words is fun. After a half-hour, Xin emerged, freshly showered and shaven. He was in casual clothes, white tank top and dark gray drawstring pajama bottoms. Suppressing a yawn, he ran a hand through his still damp, unruly curls as he meandered toward the mess hall. A small head upturn was given to acknowledge Kas as he made a beeline for one of his personal protein bars. As he began unwrapping the package, he motioned toward the guitar. "Nicely done. Know any Chinese? Do you know Talimu River? It's an Ugyhur folk song." It was one of the few Xin vaguely remembered the dulcimer chords to.

21:30:55 Kasai had been plucking away time on the guitar, playing tunes with mostly sad melodies. He had let his mind wander, and a woman with long brown hair obscuring her face had conjured up behind him. She stood close, putting her hand on his shoulder. He took a deep breath, and his hands stopped moving on the strings. He would have turned to look at her, but Xin's entrance dispelled her presence in his head. The mercenary glanced towards the doctor, thinking for a moment. "I think I might remember it, though it would have been a long time since I heard it." He paused for a moment, moving his fingers on the strings to pluck a few notes. "Most of my experience is with popular tunes, modern and from Earth that was." He scanned his memory for a moment, seeming to freeze. He blinked a few times, and then pucked out the first few chords to the tune. "Never went to many folk shows, but I seem to remember being around one once." He could lightly recall hearing the tune, and played along with what he remembered, <c>
21:30:57 [Kasai] transposing it effectively. "Is this right?" He looked to the doctor to confirm whether or not he was getting it. <e>

21:36:35 XinTou listened for a moment, then shrugged. "Well, I don't have any tomatoes to throw, so I guess it'll have to do." He teased, sitting down at the table and thoughtfully taking a bite out of his bar. After a moment of chewing and swallowing, he looked back to Kasai. "So, you some sort of wandering minstrel, there? Or do you have formal musical training?" The doctor was guessing the latter, like himself. Made sense. The Alliance liked having their "culture" in addition to their advanced ways of committing violence.

21:41:39 Kasai shook his head, slowly transitioning into a smooth jazz tune. "Never got formal training, just met a musician who was really good." He paused for a moment, watching his fingers move. "I'm a naturally quick learner, is all." His demeanor while holding an instrument often belied how he truly was, slightly distant and unfeeling, but always aware. "I take it the surgery on Quinn wasn't too difficult?" He glanced to the doctor for a moment, a hint of concern almost noticeable in his voice and eyes

21:43:06 [Kasai] [[ if you want to know, he's playing this. LISTEN AND LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM ]]

21:47:12 [XinTou] If the doctor noticed the concern, he didn't mention it. "No, thank goodness. I always worry when the captain gets leg injuries." He glanced towards the entrance of the mess hall to make sure that selfsame captain wasn't listening in. "I would hate to be the doctor that limited what remaining leg mobility she has left." He admitted quietly before taking another bite of his bar. Then he cheered up slightly. "But yes, simple bullet extraction, not even a need for stitches. You weren't injured in the fight, were you?" A curious quirk wrinkled the doc's brow as he looked Kasai up and down.

Javan chuckled a little at the question about kids, glancing towards Shaiyat with a smirk. “If I remember right you first identified me as one of the million brothers...We've had our fair share of watching siblings, I'd say I can handle a kid.” His brow dropped then, as he didn't recall seeing any children on the ship thus far. “You have a child?” He questioned with smile. Shaiyat snorted to himself, though he let Quinn answer.

Kasai 's lip twinged at the question, and he hit a chord a bit too hard, making it resonate out of the mess and through the ship. "No." His eyes flashed anger, then disappointment. "I'm glad she didn't get hurt any worse." He paused for a moment, letting the feeling wash out of him. He still felt like the captain's injury was his fault. He still felt like he should have noticed the shooter before anything happened. He still felt like he was slipping. He shook his head and let the voices fade. "I'd have patched myself up had I been, anyhow. I only take serious injuries to doctors. Don't want to burden you with small scratches when I can fix them up myself. He shifted in his seat, leaning backwards and setting the guitar to the side, which caused his locket to slide out from under his tank top. "It's unfortunate we had to run off like that, though. I'm sure you would have liked to actually spend some time with that sister of yours." It seemed like as soon as he took his hand off the guitar he was back to 'normal'<c>
21:55:38 [Kasai] seeming more in the moment and full of emotion, though his were still dull compared to others. <e>

Quinn laughed when Javan asked if she had a child. “Hell no,” she answered without thinking, chuckling some. “Headed to Harvest to pick one up. You stay on board, pay some 'n work off the rest watchin' over the kid, we'll call it even. Shiny?”

[XinTou] The anger surprised Xin, and he remained tense until he saw Kasai visibly relax at least a hair. He allowed a pause to exist between them as he finished off his bar and threw away the wrapper. "Yeah, well, can't always get what you want. Isabella will understand. I'm a lucky brother in that." Another moment of silence drifted by as Xin thought on that a moment. Then - "So. Have you found your relationship with the captain much improved yet?"

Kasai smiled and laughed quietly. "She seems intent to hate me, though I think it's mainly because I rub her the wrong way." He stared into the distance for a moment, becoming thoughtful. "Though if any fun guests come a-knockin' she might see me as more than just a nuisance." Again he paused, a frown crossing his lips. "Though it'd be easier with my bird." He shook his head, "Gods, it's been out of my reach for too long." He pushed one of his hands into his face, slowly sliding it up and through his hair. He sighed softly, shaking his head at the thought of what was happening to the ship right now.

22:21:03 XinTou fell silent and just nodded to Kasai's mention of his ship. He really had no idea how to respond to people experiencing a sense of loss from their property, being that he hadn't really owned any major property (land, transport, etc.) for himself in years. Just your average traveling medic. He did have his few possessions and baubles though. Speaking of which... "Lovely locket." He mused, noticing the thing for the first time. "Heirloom or gift?"

22:27:35 Kasai glanced down at the locket dangling from his neck. He hadn't noticed it slip from under his tank top earlier. "It was..." he paused, musing on the past, "a gift. From someone important." He picked the trinket up and clutched it, closing his eyes and remembering her face. He smiled, genuinely, then opened the locket. He took a moment to gaze at the pristine image of the woman for a breif second before closing it again and dropping it to his chest. "I never considered the piece itself beautiful, but I haven't an eye for such things, honestly."

XinTou gazed inside the locket itself before Kas snapped it shut. "Hm." The doctor looked vaguely troubled, the look one gets when they're trying to place a name or a face. He ran his thumb over his clean-shaven maxilla, pinching his upper lip in thought. After a moment, he slowly asked, "This lady of yours has a familiar face. Was she recently injured? On...Jiangyin, I want to say? Huh." He stretched upwards. "She might just have one of those faces, I'm pretty tired..."

“Shiny.” Javan answered with a nod, watching a kid seemed easy enough. The next question came with a slight pause. “So...just where should I sleep? I don't have anything with me but my guitar...” He paused again, listening upstairs for the guitar plucking which seemed to have stopped. Hm. There was another musician on board. That made him feel a little at ease...he truly knew very little about just what his brother did for a living, though he had a pretty good guess. “I could share Shai's room...” The pilot chuckled, shaking his head as he finally turned back to the two on the couch. “Think we got rooms that ain't mine...”

Kasai narrowed his eyes as the doctor spoke, and his idle right hand clutched at his knee. He carefully spoke his next words, "I heard she died on Jiangyin just barely two years ago. By an Alliance operative." He paused momentarily. "Did I get fed bad information?" His eyes quivered, and he looked towards the corridor that led to the cockpit. There she stood, her hair disheveled and obscuring her face. She tilted her head to the side, her hair sweeping aside and revealing one of her eyes. He restated himself to the doctor, without looking at him. "Are you saying she's not dead?"

22:51:56 [XinTou] The words Tread carefully came to mind when he saw Kasai tesseract into this careful, deliberate being. He held the man's gaze a moment, then slowly continued. "Well, if it's the same girl, which I'm not sure it was, I treated her about that time ago. She was still injured, but alive when I left. Again, the woman was so severely battered that it could've been anyone." The last sentence had a bit of a edge on it. Xin knew he was no match for Kasai physically, but he'd be damned if he was socializing with a woman brutalizer.

22:55:36 [Shaiyat] “Shiny.” Javan answered with a nod, watching a kid seemed easy enough. The next question came with a slight pause. “So...just where should I sleep? I don't have anything with me but my guitar...” He paused again, listening upstairs for the guitar plucking which seemed to have stopped. Hm. There was another musician on board. That made him feel a little at ease...he truly knew very little about just what his brother did for a living, though he had a pretty good guess. “I could share Shai's room...” The pilot chuckled, shaking his head as he finally turned back to the two on the couch. “Think we got rooms that ain't mine...”
Kasai barely contained himself, but managed to maintain a visible facade of normalcy. A terrible pain shot up his right arm, and he gripped his knee so hard it would leave bruises. His mind was completely blank, as he watched the woman brush her hair out of her face, revealing the bloody wound on her neck. She smiled to Kasai, then turned and walked down the corridor, fading away. Was it true? Was she still alive? A million voices spoke in his mind at once, of all the possibilities and all the mistakes. Suddenly everything was brought back to him. It would be enough to shatter him if he didn't control it with a single, powerful thought. I am a cloud. He froze, his eyes stared unwavering into the distance, and his breath slowed dramatically. I am a cloud. I am a man. He gasped at a breath and then turned to the doctor. "Are you sure, Xin? I met the man who supposedly killed her once, he seemed very... thorough."

[Quinn] “Barely enough room fer Shai,” Quinn commented, well aware of the pilot's cramped room. “We have a few opens rooms down here... pick whichever you like. There's a pile a clothes in the cargo bay you can go through.” The pile the crew had sorted through for their Halloween costumes remained on the floor near by. Quinn rubbed her forehead and suppressed a yawn.“So, payment... how much you got?”

[XinTou] Well, maybe it's time to make a graceful exit. "Like I said, not sure of anything." He commented breezily. "I remember treating a woman with similar features, a woman that had sustained a lot of damage, internal bleeding, etcetera. That's all I know. Don't even know her name. On that note, perhaps I ought to go to bed." Slowly, as not to raise the ire of Kasai, he began to casually back up, still keeping his eyes on the mercenary.

Kasai really didn't know what to make of the information. Tenné had meant the world to him, up until he turned on her due to his unwavering faith in the Alliance. She had made him feel human, she had made living easy. Then he had destroyed that. But she wasn't dead? The knowledge had blindsided the young mercenary, leaving him confused and in an emotional tempest. Obviously it was a good thing she was alive, but how could she not hate him? He had turned on her so harshly, he had been so exacting in his seeming justice. He had understood all too well what she said to him much too late. Could there be a second chance? Would she even instill the same feelings in him now? He snapped from his internal questioning before Xin left, turning to the doctor. A genuine smile was on his face, and perhaps a tear was in his eye. "Thank you, ishi. If it was the same woman, then I'm grateful to you." His voice was shakey, but he did not stay in the mess long enough to reveal any other signs of emotion. He stumbled to <c>
23:15:08 [Kasai] his room, still dumbfounded by the information. He knew the 'verse was a big place, but he had known from the first time he saw her that Tenné looked like no other woman ever had. She was singular in her beauty. In his room, he glanced into the mirror. Standing behind the black monster he saw as his reflection was the woman from the hallway. The wound on her neck had healed, leaving a nasty scar. He looked at her in the mirror and smiled. <e>

((Funny stuff!))

[Shaiyat] Hey, random question! What do ya'll eat rice with? Soon, fork or chopsticks? ))
17:20:06 [Shaiyat] *spoon? ))
17:20:11 [XinTou] ((Fork.))
17:21:25 [Quinn] =/
17:21:58 [Shaiyat] See! No one eats it with a spoon but you Quinn! ))
17:22:25 [XinTou] ((Didn't mean to cause trouble in paradise. Very Happy))
[Kasai] [[ spoon's are easier to eat rice with, I just never feel like dirtying two utensils for one meal ]]
17:23:02 [Kasai] [[ also, I use my hands, anyways ]]
17:24:36 [Quinn] chop sticks are best, but spoons are clearly superior.
17:25:01 [Shaiyat] No. You are wrong. )
17:25:11 [Kasai] [[ don't worry, kell. I GOT YO BACK ]]
17:25:16 [Quinn] pfft.
17:25:26 [Quinn] aw. =)
17:26:17 [Shaiyat] Xin agrees with me! So....it's two against two. ))
17:27:02 [Quinn] well. you're pretty short... so your vote is only half.
17:27:52 [Kasai] [[ so does that mean that your vote is double, Q? because aren't you kinda tall? ]]
[Shaiyat] Gasp! Well....well....you're still wrong! ))
17:28:59 [XinTou] ((Boo, height's an unfair factor. Cup size!))
17:29:40 Quinn wins!!
17:29:48 [Kasai] [[ lol ]]
17:29:50 [Shaiyat] Well....hell. I fail there too. But so does Kasai so there! ))
17:30:14 [Kasai] [[ i dunno. got some pretty nice moobs over here ]]
17:30:22 [XinTou] ((Shai plus my D beats Quinn plus Kasai's nothing.))
17:30:37 [XinTou] ((All right, so maybe Kasai has a B. I think we sitll win.))
17:30:40 [Quinn] oh my
17:30:44 [XinTou] ((still*))
17:30:50 [Quinn] actually...
17:31:02 [Quinn] if the moobs are a B, we win.
17:31:17 Shaiyat cracks up. Damn my A cup. )
17:31:28 [Kasai] [[ the sad part is... they might be T_T ]]
17:31:46 [Kasai] [[ i'm going to go run fifteen miles, brb ]]
17:32:02 [Quinn] hah!
17:32:11 [Shaiyat] XD ! ))
17:32:44 [XinTou] ((Kas, don't run because of your beautiful moobs!))
17:33:00 [Kasai] [[ beautiful? you're strange ]]
17:33:09 [XinTou] ((At my heaviest, I was a 36DDD. Yikes.))
17:33:23 [XinTou] ((I like 'em bearded and chubby.))
17:33:31 [XinTou] (( 'S my thang.))
17:33:48 [Kasai] [[ ... well then... maybe I'll just sit here... ]]
Back to top Go down

Log 11 - Escape from Bellerophron (con't)
Page 1 of 1